1. Students will plan a design of a bobble-head doll on handout. This is important because the student has to plan the front, back, and side views because we are working on a 3-D form.
2. Wrap pipe cleaner around under top lip of the whole bottle. Paper Mache bottle (the body). Also paper maché the cut bottle (the head). Have paper maché go over lip of both bottles. Stick ball of plasticine clay in the bottom of the whole paper machéd bottle (so it doesn't fall over). The Ross art paste is for the paper mache. The half styrofoam ball attaches to the top of the spring to balance the head.
3. Draw in pencil first on inverted cut paper mached bottle- front, sides, and back of head using plan from worksheet. Go over lines with black sharpie.
4. Draw in pencil on whole paper machéd bottle- front, sides, and back of the body. They should include everything from the neck down to the shoes. Then black Sharpie.
5. Color in the designs with gel markers or permanent markers.
6. Add hair with yarn using a glue gun. Add other details with trims, Beads and anything you can think of.
Last year some of the students made animals that were hilarious. A monkey, mouse, horse (we had to add a shape on the front of the horses head that she paper machéd over).
As an anticipatory set you could show examples of actual bobble-heads of characters who you think students would like. See a few below: